* I was given the 2016 Chevy Malibu to test drive for one week, free of charge. As always, I only share what I LOVE and all opinions are always my own.*
The brand-new 2016 Chevy Malibu is definitely nothing like your dad’s old Malibu. The 2016 Chevy Malibu dives into the future, engineered for great efficiency, connectivity, and safety. This reinvented, redesigned 4-door midsize sedan has a completely unexpected new look and feel to it, plus it’s totally tech savvy. I would say it has a completely new edge to it while still remaining classic.
A couple of weeks ago, I had the privilege of test driving the all-new 2016 Malibu Premier (2LZ trim). From the moment I laid eyes on it, I was amazed by its head-turning beauty, its clean body lines, and dramatic side creases. Some other details worth noting:
- 19″ wheels with Aluminum rims
- dual exhaust with stainless steel polished tips,
- chrome door handles
- sleek side-view mirrors (which by the way are outside heated)
- sweeping LED headlamps and LED daytime running lamps
It was love at first sight!
The brand-new exterior of the 2016 Chevy Malibu really caught my eye, but there was so much more once I opened the door and stepped inside. The Chevrolet brand name etched right into that aluminum door trim should have been an immediate indication that I was in for a real treat (see the pic below).
Immediately, I could tell that a great deal of thought and attention to detail had been given to every little inch of this car, from the leather-wrapped steering wheel to the leather trimmed shift knob, to the Bose Premium Speakers, down to those little lights that illuminated the interior door handles at night, this vehicle screamed detailed beauty throughout.
Test Driving the 2016 Chevy Malibu
The 2016 Chevy Malibu came loaded with an endless array of features! I was happy to test them out when we packed up our family of four into this midsize sedan and hit the road. We took several little road trips during our week-long test drive. We drove down the New Jersey Turnpike and cruised up the Palisades Parkway. Of course, we enjoyed a sweet little drive around our city too!
Now we are a mini-van family. If you follow me, you know that our family-mobile gets us around! But I must admit, I didn’t really miss our mini-van while driving this beautiful and spacious 4-door sedan. Our family of 4 (and ALL of the stuff we carry around: car seats, strollers, etc.) fit comfortably. I can truly say that all of the added features in this fabulous midsize car made our ride super sweet, super spacious and comfortable. This is why I feel like I need to mention as many of these features as possible in this here post/review.
ALL of the feature I LOVE in the 2016 Chevy Malibu
- GM’s first eight-speed automatic transmission in a front-wheel drive vehicle
- 4-inch longer wheelbase that provides a more comfortable ride
- Super roomy interior with improved leg room, especially in the rear
- Rear seating with pull down middle armrest that includes 2 cup holders and a 60/40 split folding seatback
- Extra deep trunk, fitted with a cargo mat
- Dashboard display with multi-color driver instruments (info enhanced)
- Steering wheel controls, audio, cruise, Bluetooth,
- Device charging – including two easy to access USB port in the front console and a wireless device charging dock in the middle console (for compatible smartphones)
- Remote vehicle start
- Driver and front passenger heated and ventilated seats
- Memory settings for driver’s seat and outside mirrors
- Inside rearview mirror, automatic dimming to reduce night-time glare
Fully Loaded with Cutting-Edge Functional Tech
Once inside the vehicle, the technology within the 2016 Chevy Malibu was what I mostly fell in love with, but of course, would you expect anything less from this mommy. When I say that this vehicle has been redesigned, I don’t say it lightly. This really is a brand-new Chevy Malibu! Not only has it been engineered for beauty inside and out, but the technology it includes throughout is so unexpected of a Chevy Malibu. It truly left me amazed and really sad when it was time to say good-bye to the 2016 Chevy Malibu. I know I’ve never been inside a vehicle that contained so much cutting-edge technology that was completely functional in so many ways. All this tech truly helped simplify the driving experience and took our test drive to an entirely new level.
I completely loved the new info-enhanced multi-colored driver instruments that are displayed on the dashboard. This feature works great in conjunction with the touch-screen. For example, when using the Navigation features, not only are directions displayed on the touch-screen, they’re also displayed right on the driver’s dashboard. You’ll never miss a turn again with a navigation system like this!
Total Connectivity and Control
To start, the most obvious piece of technology was quickly visible as I entered this car. The 8-inch diagonal color touch-screen immediately caught my eye. This easy to access and perfectly sized touchscreen gives users total connectivity and control with just a tap or simple voice command. It comes with the newly enhanced Chevrolet MyLink audio system that includes navigation and Bluetooth streaming. It also provides phone integration through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. In addition, features such as XM Radio and OnStar 4G LTE Wifi hotspot are all right there at your fingertips.
Already impressed? But there’s still so much more, YES more!
Safety Features for the Entire Family
This new 2016 Chevy Malibu offers an entire package of amazing technology to keep drivers and passengers safe, including nine new-to-Malibu safety features that had me in awe. I’ll list them for you so you can plainly see just how many preventive safety technology options are included in this one reinvented midsize sedan.
- All-new Teen Driver feature, which allows parents to view their kids’ driving statistics, such as maximum speed, warning alerts and more. This is a must-have for parent of teen drivers! Click here to learn more about how these progressive features can help parents teach kids about safe driving.
- Ten airbags, including front-seat knee airbags, head-curtain side-impact airbags, and seat-mounted side airbags, are also standard.
- Rearview camera system is standard on LS, LT, Hybrid and Premier models
- Front Pedestrian Alert that uses a forward-looking camera to help avoid or reduce the harm caused by crashes with pedestrians ahead of the vehicle. The system can apply automatic last-second braking
- New Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
- Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert
- New Forward Collision Alert with Following Distance Indicator
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Intellibeam, which automatically switches the headlamps to high beam for better road illumination and improved visibility
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Front Automatic Braking
- Front and Rear Park Assist, plus automatic Parking Assist. Yes! This car can help you find a parking spot and then parks itself!
I must also mention that the 2016 Chevy Malibu is also sweet on the pocket! It provides great fuel economy with the ability to drive 26 combined city/hwy miles per gallon. You can drive as far as 100 miles on just 3.8 gallons. AMAZING! You know I had to love that!
During our test drive, we drove highway miles mostly. This vehicle can drive up to 37 miles per gallon when on the highway. That’s pretty impressive! During our test drive, we drove about 200 miles in total. Can you guess how much we spent on gas? Check out the pic below to see how we did on gas mileage and to find out how much it cost us to fill up the 1/2 tank of gas we used during our travels.
And if you’re looking for even more fuel economy, the 2016 Chevy Malibu also comes in a hybrid version. The Malibu Hybrid provides exceptional efficiency at 47 MPG.
The new 2016 Chevy Malibu gets total approval from this mommy! Not only because it’s been redesigned for beauty, comfort, and connectivity but because it can simplify any ride and keep everyone exceptionally safe, while also helping you save on gas. Big WIN all around on this midsize sedan! I highly recommend it if you’re in the market for a new car.
What did you think? Looking to purchase a new car, would you consider the 2016 Chevy Malibu? Let me know in the comments section below 🙂