Did you know that we’re celebrating 40 years of LEGO Education? It’s no secret that we’re big LEGO fans around here! There’s nothing more fun than learning through hands-on exploration, creativity, and building. Not only as a parent do I love seeing my own kids engrossed in a LEGO project that teaches them necessary skills. As an educator I also fully see the value in it when my students dive into learning with LEGO and develop their 21st century skills. Mix in a bit of nostalgia for this 80’s kid and all the great ways in which LEGO has transformed education through the years and I get uber excited about what lays ahead! Our next generation of kids needs these playful learning opportunities to grow their creativity, build resilience and confidence and learn coding skills required for the jobs of the future!
Celebrating 40 Years of LEGO Education
“While a lot has changed in the 40 years since LEGO Education was formed, the mission we committed to is as relevant today as it was then,” says Esben Stærk, president, LEGO Education. “Playful learning is at the heart of the company, and we have always believed that hands-on learning builds the confidence and skillset children need. With the acceleration of artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, and automation, it’s more important than ever to equip teachers with solutions and resources like SPIKE Prime that engage all students in STEAM learning and develop the skills required in the 21st century job market.”
Launch of LEGO Education SPIKE Prime
This week LEGO Education kicked off its 40th anniversary celebration by launching of its latest innovation for middle school classrooms. LEGO Education SPIKE Prime, their newest education solution brings together LEGO bricks, a programmable, multi-port HUB, sensors and motors all powered by the engaging SPIKE App based on the Scratch coding language. 32 lesson plans are included. In addition, teacher training and getting-started guides, all designed to be as easy and intuitive for teachers as it is for students to use.
I absolutely love that LEGO Education Spike Prime is designed to help students in grades 6-8 “build confidence and develop the essential STEAM and 21st-century skills they need to succeed in a rapidly changing workforce.” Everything’s included making it easy to get classrooms up and running!
More about LEGO Education SPIKE Prime
- Designed for ages 10+, grades 6-8
- Costs $329.95 per set, which can be shared by two students at a time
- Based on the drag-and-drop Scratch coding platform and available for iOS, Chrome, Windows 10, Mac and Android
- 32 lessons help get teachers started and make integrating SPIKE Prime into a variety of classes from science and math to social studies and language arts incredibly easy
- Ensures that multiple classrooms can share sets within a school with streamlined 45-minute build + lesson time
- Includes 11 new innovative elements developed by LEGO Education and the LEGO Group, first seen in SPIKE Prime
- Available for purchase on the LEGO Education website or through authorize resellers
- Brings STEAM creativity and engagement into afterschool programs, robotics clubs, coding programs and maker spaces with the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Expansion Set by LEGO Education (sold separately)
- The Expansion Set and Competition Ready unit can now be used in competition by robotics competition teams, including FIRST® LEGO® League and World Robot Olympiad
LEGO Education Celebrates Teachers Too!
As LEGO Education celebrates its 40th birthday, it also celebrates the educators who inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow. The LEGO Education Master Educator Program recognizes those teachers who share the LEGO Education mission in building their students’ confidence and 21st century skills. Master Educators are everyday heroes making an impact in their classrooms with hands-on LEGO learning and are lifelong learners themselves, looking for new ways to engage their students. Through the Master Educator Program, like-minded educators can share knowledge and ideas for student success with the support of their peers and LEGO Education.
Applications for the 2020 Master Educator cohort are now being accepted. Interested educators in Australia, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States are invited to apply through April 30, 2020. Details about the program, application process and program eligibility can be found at: LEGOeducation.com/MasterEducators.
Don’t forget to “PIN” this for later!